Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shake, shake, shake!!!

We had a busy day today. I took Emma to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston to have some bloodwork completed. It should be illegal to draw blood from a baby/toddler with all of the pain and suffering it caused not only Emma, but myself. The phlebotomist had me lay Emma down on the table with me laying directly on top of her to hold her down. Another worker held Emma's arm down while the third lady tried to stick the needle in her arm. Emma was screaming at the top of her lungs, trying her hardest to wiggle free, her head was beat red and her hair was soaking wet with sweat. All the ladies could say over and over was "This girl is strong! This girl is strong! She's gonna be a softball player one day!" Needless to say they couldn't get her vein and had to pull the needle in and out and in and out and in and out trying over and over. Eventually they gave up on that arm and let my poor, sweet baby rest a minute.

The next arm we had her sitting on my lap and I was literally holding her down with all my might while one lady was again holding her arm down. Again - it wasn't working. I said a little prayer to the good lord above that these two ladies could figure it out because there was no way on God's green earth that I was driving all the way to Houston again from Beaumont to go through this misery. Finally, after pulling the needle in and out and in and out they reached blood! Whoo Hoo! Emma gave her two vials and we were happily on our way back home. Emma was so relieved to be away from those two ladies that she didn't even cry on the way home - she was rewarded with a full sippy cup of apple juice which she happily gulped down.

I will say that walking through the halls of Texas Childrens Hospital is a very sobering moment. It is heart wrenching, to say the least, to see all of the sick children in the hallways. I saw kids without hair who had obviously had chemo, kids with masks and IV's, and even a baby with a trach. Once we got into the car I couldn't help but cry a little for the sick children and for what they and their families are enduring. We are so extremely blessed to have such a healthy family!

Later this evening Emma was helping me to fold the laundry. She loves to take the clothes that I have already folded and shake them all around. She is imitating me shaking out the wrinkles. It is so cute. I posted a video of her below.

I will be driving with a couple friends tomorrow to go shopping at the outlets in San Marcos. I am very excited to have a girls weekend, but will miss my hubby and Emma. It will be good bonding time for them. I am trying to enforce the rule that Emma must get dressed on Sat/Sun. Jay loves to let her wear her PJ's all day! Enjoy the video.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, poor Emma at the hospital! She totally earned her apple juice!
    Have fun shopping this weekend. I have to enforce the getting dressed rule too---Kole would be in jammies all day if it was up to Seth. Brothers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the WORST feeling seeing your child hurt, crying and not being able to do anything about it. It is so sad for me to watch Ben get his shots, I can't imagine watching them try to get blood. I think you too should of earned a full cup of apple juice!!

    ReplyDelete