Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Few Firsts

Emma has had a couple firsts over the past week. She started Tuesday night with her first ever gymnastics class. She was super excited to go and couldn't wait to put on her adorable leotard. She had a great time, too. The place is huge and I couldn't see everything she did as the parents have to wait behind the glass and can't go into the gym. I did see her practice swinging from a bar and by the end of the class she flipped all the way over it! She also spent some time on the trampoline, which always makes for a great time.

She also had her first day of school today (finally)! Last Friday was supposed to be her first day but our entire county of schools was closed due to flooding. She has been asking me all week and at least 5 times this morning if I was going to leave her alone with her teachers. She wasn't asking because she was nervous and scared. She was asking to MAKE SURE I was leaving! She wanted to be all by herself and had a great time. Funny how this year I got a much more complete picture of what her day consisted of than last year as her communication has improved dramatically. Apparently she played with Play-Do, went to the playground, made an owl, sang songs while her teacher played the guitar, read books, and played with Luke who doesn't share:) She had so much fun and can't wait to go again tomorrow (her class is Thursday, Friday from 9-1).

Anna also had a first for us yesterday. I was at the kitchen counter cutting up some peaches and she decided she wanted to get into the liquor cabinet. (Girl after my own heart haha:) My hands were all gooey and yucky and I was trying to figure out how to keep her from knocking over the bottles without picking her up with my gross hands. I opted for trying to talk her out of it. I said something like this: "No, No Anna! You can't play in that cupboard! Go find your rattle and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE it! Get your rattle in the playroom and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE!" She immediately stopped what she was doing, crawled into the playroom, and amidst all of the toys she found her rattle and started shaking it!!!! I was so ecstatic I started crying! This is such a huge accomplishment for Anna. Jay and I talk all the time about what she is and isn't understanding and although we thought she understood some of the things we were saying this was our first real hard evidence that she does. YAY for Anna:) This is crucial for her beginning language development and we are so happy to see that she is right on track.

We have Anna's walkathon for Tuberous Sclerosis this Sunday. It will be a good day for us and I am excited to be a part of this event. I will post more about this and my fundraising after our walk.

Emma's first day of school - showing off her new backpack

She got to pick out her outfit all by herself this year and was beyond excited for school to start
First day of gymnastics. Watch out Mary Lou Retton and Shawn Johnson:)




One of the first pictures taken of Anna sleeping in a LONG time! She has a squeaky door and wakes up every time I try to open it at night (she is a ridiculously light sleeper) so I had to leave it open one night to get this picture.


Anna has been LOVING getting into the cupboards lately and making a mess of anything and everything!




1 comment:

  1. YAY YAY YAY for ANNA!!!! So HAPPY to hear that she found her rattle on her own. She TOTALLY knows what you are saying! Plus, you may have prevented her from becoming a heavy drinker ;) I only wish my own kids would eat fruit that I cut up for them. boo.

    ReplyDelete