Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Space Shuttle Discovery

The Space Shuttle Discovery took its final flight today into Dulles airport near our house and I did not want to miss it! I knew it would be a once in a lifetime experience to see a space shuttle flying on the back of a 747 and I was not disappointed!

I packed the girls up early so that I was at the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum at 8:00am right when the parking lot opened. This is the museum where the Discovery will take the place of the Space Shuttle Enterprise, which hasn't actually been into space. The place was packed right at 8:00 and the lot closed due to being full by 9:00. I had plans to meet 3 friends with their kids and have a big breakfast tailgate but they all got stuck in stopped traffic and didn't make it in time:(

The girls and I had a great time though! Discovery flew over for the first time around 10am and then it took a trip into DC to fly over the monuments. It made its way back for a second viewing at 11am. I knew it was landing at Dulles airport, which is right next door to the museum, but I wasn't sure if we would be able to see it land. So, after 2 sightings (that were oh-so-close and unbelievable!) I decided to throw the kids in the car and try to make mad timing for the exit of the museum since I knew there would be hours of wait time to get out if we lolly gagged. Anyway, we were about the 20th car in line to leave and a police car stopped all traffic and wouldn't let anyone leave. I was very annoyed at first but then quickly realized that we couldn't leave because the Discovery was landing on a runway right in front of us!!! It was my lucky day to have such a close viewing of the landing (which the other people still waiting in the parking lot couldn't see) AND then be one of the first in line to leave. We had a great time and I really hope that Emma will remember what an awesome sight it was!

Wondering how these people at the top of the watch tower at the Air and Space Museum got their terrific seats?!?

Girls happily watching their DVD player while waiting

Pictures that I took on my 3 different sightings




This picture isn't the best, but we could actually see the dust being kicked up from its landing!
Video of it flying right over us and landing. You can hear Anna screeching in the background:)

3 comments:

  1. Wow-- how cool is that? I am pretty green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cool! What an experience for you & the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once in a lifetime experience. How awesome!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete