Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Emma's Latest Stunt

Warning: the following story is a bit gross! Proceed reading for a good laugh.

On Super Bowl Sunday, after our friends had left, I took Emma upstairs for our normal bedtime routine. She got her jammies on, brushed her teeth, and I read her a book. Before leaving the room I decided to do a thorough cleaning of her nose so that she could sleep good that night. She had had a runny nose for a couple weeks and it had recently started to be green and goopy. She didn't have any other symptoms of a cold or sickness so I had written it off to a normal kids snotty nose. This time, for some reason, I decided to clean out her nose as she was laying in bed. This allowed me to get a good look up into her nose which normally doesn't happen. As I look up into her nose I see something WAY up in her left nostril. It is some kind of foreign object.

At this very moment I have a flashback. Ten days ago when I picked her up from school she ran up to me laughing and smiling and said "Mommy, I put a Band Aid up my nose." I laughed it off and said "Emma you know you aren't supposed to put anything in your nose. That's yucky!" Never once did I think she actually shoved it way up in her nose where it couldn' t be seen.

Back to reality - in a panic I sprint downstairs and holler at Jay that Emma has something in her nose and I think it could be a Band Aid. I grabbed my tweezers and ran back upstairs. Jay came up too. I had Emma lie flat on her back as I proceeded to do an extraction of this foreign object. Mind you this "thing" is so far up her nose that when she breathes in I couldn't see it, but when she breathes out I could see just a little bit of "something." Emma knew I was in a panic and stayed extremely still (a true miracle in itself) and just kept asking "Mommy what are you doing?" After several attempts I pulled out a gooey, green, SMELLY Dora the Explorer Band Aid!!! It had been in her nose for at least TEN days!!!

She immediately started crying as Jay and I kept yelling "Emma you DON'T put Band Aid's in your nose!!!" I didn't know how to feel - I was so relieved and thankful that I saw it and was able to pull it out. I also felt terrible that I didn't believe her that day when she told me multiple times that she put a Band Aid in her nose. Who would have thought she was telling the truth on that one?!? I just can't believe that she didn't complain of her nose hurting or headaches. This is definately a story for the baby book:) Poor Emma - hope she thinks twice in the future about putting anything in her nose!

No comments:

Post a Comment