Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Elusive Gecko

We had a fairly uneventful weekend. Emma's friend Jonathan had his 2 year old birthday party on Saturday afternoon. They live right in our neighborhood so we were able to pack up the wagon and walk over to their house. He had a big bounce with a huge slide and Emma loved it. She was a bit small compared to the other kids so she had to be chaperoned by mom or dad whenever she went inside. She could barely stand up and every time she did she took a big header. She laughed and laughed. She even went down the big slide with us a couple times.
She seemed to like the normal sized slide even better. She kept trying to crawl back up the slide and go down again and again. We knew she was worn out when she started falling asleep on the swing! We packed up and headed home to watch the MSU game at night. It was a huge disappointment as they lost in the last seconds. Our adorable little cheerleader couldn't make it through the whole game - she was exhausted!
We were outside quite a bit today as the weather has been gorgeous. It has been sunny and mid 70's. Emma went on two walks today - one with mom and one with dad. She and I played outside and used her swing. She also helped me fill the birdfeeder and sweep the porch. She absolutely LOVES to be outside. I can say "Come on Emma" and open the back door and she immediately drops anything and everything in her hands and runs to be the first out the door. I just have to keep a close eye on wherever she runs because we have a never ending red ant problem and I have to make sure she doesn't run through a pile of them.
Speaking of bugs, ants and such. Ever since moving to Texas I have hated geckos. Everyone who has lived in Texas laughs and says "They are harmless" or "You want them because they eat other bugs." I don't care if they are good or not - I hate them! They are pesky little critters that always scare me when I am gardening because they hide in the bushes and jump around in front of my face. I can't ever open the front door without being scared one will crawl in the house - which has happened countless times. We are just inundated with them in our current house. Every night we can turn our porch light on and see at least 15 on our patio cover. I swear there are hundreds around this house. I even asked our pest control guy if he could kill them. He proceeded to laugh and tell me they were good to have. (On a side note, a gecko came in through the front door even when my pest guy was here one time and I made him chase it out!)
With all this being said, on Friday afternoon I walked into the bathroom and saw a baby gecko on the floor!! I scared it into the room with the toilet and shut the door and stuffed a bath towel under the door so it couldn't get out. I called Jay and told him that I had a present for him when he got home. Yes, that is right, I figure the man of the house can do his duty and kill the damn gecko! When Jay got home we armed ourselves with a broom and paper towel to trap and kill the gecko and we opened the bathroom door. The gecko immediately crawled in a teeny tiny hole between the floor and the baseboard. UGH! We poked and prodded and couldn't get it out. So, we shut the door and stuffed the towel under it and thought maybe we could try again later. This went on all day Sat. as we intermittently did a "Gecko check". We never saw it and decided to give up - it must have crawled up into the wall and found a way out. I took care of the broom and everything. Well, Sat. night I walk into the bathroom and what do I see but the damn gecko again! I screamed for Jay and shut the door quick. By the time he got their the gecko was gone again!! I am so frustrated! The towel is back under the door. Mind you this is the master bathroom toilet room. Now I have been walking across the whole house to use the bathroom - which isn't super convenient in the early morning. I have also been having nightmares of geckos crawling all over me! It is hiding somewhere about 15 feet from my bed and every night I make Jay do a "gecko check" in the bed to make sure it isn't hiding in the sheets! UGH! It better come out soon because I can't handle knowing that it is in my house somewhere. I know that it is a harmless little baby gecko and not a big poisonous snake, but it is a creepy crawly critter. Wish us luck on our gecko hunting!
Having a blast in the big bounce

All smiles in her PJ's - look at all that hair! She is our little supermodel!



Playing at the birthday party - spinning the wheel



Trying to go up the slide the wrong way





WEEEEEEEEE!

Daddy and Emma taking their shoes off to go in the big bounce



Daddy and Emma going down the slide


1 comment:

  1. Okay, that big bounce looks like a BLAST!!! I think I would have had fun in it too!
    The gecko thing---I feel for you. I HATE HATE HATE bugs! I can't imagine having lizards to deal with!! I hope you catch it soon so you can sleep easier :)

    ReplyDelete